March 31, 2012

#11 Hunter Knocks Off #6 Stevens Tech and SUNYIT to Sweeten Senior Day

BOXSCORE - Stevens

NEW YORK, NY – In arguably one of the most toughest games of the season, the # 11 Hunter College men's volleyball team knocked off the #6 Stevens Tech Ducks, 3-2 (15-25, 25-22, 28-26, 20-25, 20-18) to earn its second win of the day and improve its win streak to 19 matches on Senior Day at the Hunter Sportsplex this afternoon. Hunter defeated SUNYIT, 3-0 (25-21, 25-13, 25-14) in the opening game of a tri-match.
Hunter (23-7) dropped the opening set 25-15 but quickly regained composure, taking sets two and three by scores of 25-22 and 28-26 respectively. The Ducks won the fourth set 25-20 to force the pivotal fifth where they gained an early 4-1 lead before the Hawks battled their way back for the win.

Christopher Newcomb led all players with a season-high 22 kills while Eric Barty chipped in with a season-high 21 to help the Hawks earn victory. Braien Otsla registered 13 kills on .524 attacking while earning a service ace and two blocks.

With the exception of the first and fourth sets, the remaining three each came down to the final plays of the game as Hunter stepped up to make the big plays when it counted. In set two, with the game tied at 19-all, the Hawks outscored the Ducks 6-3 to earn the win as Newcomb paved the way with four kills.
The third set was similar as the teams found themselves tied at 25-25 but Stevens eked out a point before Barty notched a kill to tie things up again at 26-26. Two solid assists from Stanley Martinez set Newcomb up for the winning kills to give Hunter the 28-26 win.
After the Ducks snuck back in to set four with a win, they opened the fifth set with intensity, claiming a quick 4-1 lead. Hunter battled back though and with the Hawks down 17-16, a pair of Duck attack errors coupled with a massive kill from Barty sealed the 20-18 victory for Hunter.
In game one, SUNYIT (3-27) pushed Hunter to the limit in the first set as it hung neck and neck at 15-all before the Hawks used a 4-0 run to spur ahead. From there, Hunter edged ahead 23-18 but the Wildcats kept up the fight. SUNYIT added three more points but two SUNYIT attack errors worked in Hunter's favor to seal the 25-21 victory in the first set.
Hunter opened the second set on a 9-2 run to distance the Wildcats. Hunter scored points in flurries, going on 3-0 run followed by a 4-0 run to make it a 22-11 affair. Despite allowing two SUNYIT points, Hunter got kills from Otsla and Eric Barty in addition to a Wildcat service error to take the set, 25-13.
In the final stanza, Hunter claimed the 25-14 victory, again staking an early lead on a 8-2 run. From there, the Hawks took advantage of several Wildcat miscues, pushing ahead 21-6 thanks in part to nine SUNYIT attack errors. The Wildcats attempted to mount a late comeback, outscoring Hunter 7-4 down the stretch but Hunter's early advantage proved too great to overcome.
Hunter finished with 36 kills on .329 attacking while registering seven team blocks. Newcomb led the Hawks with eight kills on .333 attacking while Otsla and John Gemegah each added six kills apiece.

Hunter will be absent from competition until Tuesday, April 10 when it hosts a CUNYAC Championships Quarterfinal match at 6pm. Opponent and complete tournament will be released once available. The Hawks are slated to host both the semifinals and finals of the CUNYAC Championships on Thursday, April 12. Games will be played at 4pm, 6pm and 8pm.

View: Mobile | Desktop