CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - For the first time in school history, the Bowdoin College women's volleyball team has earned a trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals, following a 3-1 victory at MIT on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears, under the direction of first-year head coach Erin Cady, improve to 26-4 and have won 24 of their last 25 matches. Bowdoin avenged a 3-0 defeat to MIT earlier this season and repeated a victory over the Engineers in last year's NCAA Second Round. The Polar Bears had lost in their previous two NCAA regional final appearances.
How It Happened
- After dropping the initial set, Bowdoin was in command throughout in a 14-25, 25-18, 25-16, 25-18 win
- In a close opening set, a kill by Bowdoin junior Erika Sklaver knotted the score at seven. Back-to-back errors helped start an 8-3 MIT run with a Gibbs kill moving the score to 15-10 and prompting a timeout by the Polar Bears. Jewett registered a kill once action resumed but the visitors would get no closer as the Engineers finished off the frame with a 9-3 run.
- Bowdoin jumped out to a 6-1 lead in the second stanza as first-year Sydney Salle nnaccounted for two kills and a block with senior Hailey Wahl before eventually going up, 12-5, on a Wahl kill. MIT closed to 13-10 but the Polar Bears replied with a 6-2 spurt that featured two Jewett kills and a block with Salle. A Wahl kill and block with Sklaver in addition to a pair of MIT miscues padded Bowdoin's margin en route to the 25-18 win.
- The third set was a back-and-forth battle as it featured 11 ties and three lead changes. With the score tied at 15, a kill by Sklaver put the Polar Bears ahead for good and sparked a 10-1 run that was bookended by another Sklaver attack.
- The start of the final frame started out close again as a Gebhard kill drew the Engineers within one (10-9). Back-to-back Leech kills gave the Polar Bears some breathing room before it established a 22-14 lead courtesy of an MIT hitting error. Christy Jewett recorded the match-clinching kill, sending Bowdoin to the national quarterfinals
By The Numbers
- Jewett led all players with 20 kills and racked up 17 digs
- Salle recorded nine kills and two blocks while ophomore Michelle Albright chipped in eight kills and nine digs
- Wahl totaled 12 digs, two aces, and two blocks.
- Doherty generated 21 digs and three aces while Leech rounded out Bowdoin with 41 assists and 10 digs.
- Jewett was named the Regional Tournament Most Outstanding Player
- She was joined on the All-Tournament squad by teammates Katie Doherty and Quincy Leech
- In its first-ever NCAA Quarterfinal appearance, Bowdoin will play the winner of Washington (Mo.) University and Cal Lutheran (Sunday evening match) in Grand Rapids, Michigan on Thursday. More details will be announced on Monday.